21:1 HORACE MANN CENTENNIAL EXHIBIT - MAY 1937
John Barlow, 7A
Live coal carrier, powder horn used in the backwood, bullet molds, tomahawk, powder horn used in the city, doll of Eliza Barlow wearing her original dress, household forks used about 1830, "The Columbiad" a poem by Joel Barlow, published in 1807, old guns, United States Spelling Book.
Ruth Bender, 9B
Old spelling book of 1862, slate used by Christian Tehley Dostal about 1860.
LaVerne Bliss, 7A
Bonnet worn by Early Davis in 1837.
Janet Dickson, 7A
Glasses used from 1830 to 1890, obtained from the Haber-Acker-Ebner Optical Co.
Bill Fletcher, 7A
Cowboy gun, cannon ball, flag pole top from the first public school in Cleveland.
Suzanne Fletcher, 9B
Lady's fan, daguerreotype, photograph case carried during the Civil War, bracelets, letter dated March 4th, 1845, Florida, baby bonnet.
Gertrude Galazin, 9B
United States Bank Notes redeemed and Macerated by the U.S. treasury, estimated $10,000.
Emma Gartner, 8A
Alfred Goodman, 8A
Early edition of "Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag" by Louisa May Alcott, candle snuffers candle stick, old children's books, child's chair.
Mrs. Emma L. Hanna
Jane Hills, 7A
Candle mold, sickle, gold ear rings, candle snuffers, iron kettle, chair used 1825-1829, hand-woven coverlet, hat worn in 1862.
Margaret Holmes, 7B
Parlor slate, alabaster urn, hand-woven coverlet.
Mark LaGrange, 7B
Joan Langoll, 7A
Parasol used in 1848, candle mold, brown silk dress worn in 1848.
Beverly Leachman, 7A
Spinning wheel over one hundred years old.
Connie Mason, 9A
Medal from Park Latin School, 1867.
Cleveland and Erie Railroad time card for special train Friday, April 28th, 1865, McGuffery's Third Eclectic Reader; rev. ed., c1879.
Harried A. Smith, 9A
An easy grammar of Geography by Jacob Willetts, 1826.
Elly Lou Temple, 8A
China doll for a girl of one hundred years ago, mantel ornaments, dress worn in 1850, old books published from 1844 to 1858; the boy of spirit, a story for the young, c1845; Paul and Virginia, from the Crench of Bernardin de St. Pierre-Elizabeth or the exiles of Siberia, a tale founded upon facts by Madam Cottin; Common Prayer book, 1862; the child's own picture and verse book, selected and arranged by a "Grandfather" c1858; Cousin Lottie's gold chain, ed. May Vernon, 1856; About common things, 5v. by Jacob Abbott, 1856; I will be gentlemen, a book for boys by Mrs. Tuthill, a1844; The life of Christopher Columbus, c1836; Napoleon and hissoldiers 1844; New stories for for little boys by Miss Colman, c1844.
Western Reserve Historical Society
1 Quill pen
1 Copy and Arithmetic Manuscript Book
1 Slate used by William Stevens in 1831
2 Wafers and 1 Wafer Seal
Wooden Blocks used in teaching pioneer arithemtic
1 Sand box
1 Tuning box
1 Wool card
1 Pioneer lantern
1 Foot warmer
1 Pair of candle snuffers
1 candle mold
and the following books:
The English reader, or Pieces of prosed and poetry by Lindley Murray - 1826
McGuffery's eclectic first reader - 1853.
An improved grammar of the English language by Noah Webster - 1831
Woodbridges rudiments of Geography - 1830
Geography or description of the world by Daniel Adams - 1821
Elements of Chemistry by Alonzo Gray - 1841
Intellectual Arithmetic by Joseph Ray - 1857
The new Latin tutor by Frederic P. Laverett - 1833
Colton and Fitch's modern school Geography - 1855
Mitchell's ancient atlas, classical and sacred-1854.
21:2 FURTHER PLANS FOR BIRTHDAY HISTORICAL SPECTACLE IS SCHEDULED FOR 50TH ANNIVERSARY
LAKEWOOD POST, JULY 9, 1937
Latest report from the committee shaping plans for Lakewood's 50th anniversary headed by Charles H. Schreiber, shows several big events already schedule for the celebration, July 16 to July 22.
One is that the seventh annual merchant's picnic has been set for Wednesday of anniversary week.
The other will be presentation of the historic spectacle, "Wagons West," Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, July 19 to 22.
Over 1,000 Lakewood people from the ages of eight to 75 will participate. A talent committee will start soon contacting organizations inviting contribution of talent for the spectacle.
H.E. Hills, general business manager of John D. Rogers Producing company of Fostoria, Ohio, largest producers of pageants and celebrations in the country, arrived this week to set up headquarters in Lakewood Chamber of commerce. He will be in charge of all business details. A pageant director from the company is expected to arrive in Lakewood Monday.
Committee officials have also reported that definite contacts have been made to all organizations in Lakewood and all have pledged full support and participation in the events.
By next week it is expected that a definite program for the entire week will have been formed and all organization work will be functioning.
21:3 START WORK ON BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION PLAN TO SELECT FESTIVAL QUEEN BY POPULAR VOTE
LAKEWOOD POST, JUNE 9, 1939
Members of more than 65 local organizations met in community center building Wednesday evening to learn parts they are to play in the coming Semi-Centennial celebration, Lakewood's 50th birthday, to be celebrated July 16 to 22.
On the program will be the spectacle "Wagons West", an historical outdoor pageant with more than 1000 local participants.
Mrs. Bruce Wright, talent chairman, extended invitations to all organization heads to share in the work of assembling this large cast. Wayne Lemmon, pageant master in charge of production, gave a brief outline of the pageant hsitory of which has been compiled by George W. Grill, assistant superintendent of schools.
First rehersals were scheduled for Monday at three p.m. and eight p.m. at Lakewood High school.
Margaret Darrah, superintendent of playground instruction, and Charles Foster, director of public recreation, are selecting and supervising the vast number of younger girls who will appear in several of the scenes together with the "Living Flag" which will have 208 girls in a massed color formation of "Old Glory", rehearsals for which will start Tuesday at the Lakewood high.
A "Miss Lakewood" contest to select by popular vote the queen of the Semi-Centennial celebration and "Miss Columbia", together with their "court of honor", will be started next week by the celebration committee in charge of arrangements.
The girl winning the highest number of votes will be "Miss Lakewood" and will appear in the prologue of "Wagons West". The second highest will appear as "Miss Columbia." The remaining number of contestants will appear as "court attendants".
Entrants must be 16 years old by the time the contest opens and may be single or married but must be residents of Lakewood.
Nomination ballots appearing in this issue of the Post will have a value of 1000 votes - the vote coupons appearing having a value of 25 votes.
Entrants may secure votes through "merchants coupons" and the sale of advance tickets to "Wagons West" which will be sold in groups of three for the price of two, up to and including July 15, the day the contest closes. Further details may be had at Semi-centennial headquarters, chamber of commerce offices, Detroit and St. Charles Avenues. (See ballots on the right.)
LAKEWOOD SEMI-CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION HISTORICAL COMMITTEE
MEETING AT THE LIBRARY, JUNE 2, 1939 - 7:30 P.M.
Chairman, Miss Mary P. Parsons
Vice-Chairman, Mr. George W. Grill
Mr. N.C. Cotabish
Mr. George Lindstrom
Mr. Elatus Loomis
Mrs. Orin Crandall Rogers
Mrs. A.N. Farmer
Miss Ada Bel Beckwith
Mrs. Lindsay Smith
Mrs. George Singleton
The work of the committee was outlined as (1) to furnish material as basis for pageant, particularly facts with heart interest (2) To furnish material as basis for floats (3) To arrange an exhibition of historical material at the library.
Mrs. Poulson, Director of W.P.A. Historical Section of the Library Project in the suburbs of Greater Cleveland, was introduced to the committee. Mr. Griffith of Lakewood, who is assigned to the historical project at the Lakewood Public Library was also introduced.
Mr. Grill presented an outline of plans for the pageant and Mr. Griffith brought in suggestions for scenes which may be used in the pageant and Mr. Griffith's suggestions are to be put in writing and given to Mr. Grill.
Miss Ada Bel Beckwith's acceptance of the vice-chairmanship of the committee work on floats was announced to the committee and it was decided that since Miss Beckwith will not be in Lakewood all of the time between now and the Celebration, she will be asked to select an assistant vice-chairman to aid her.
Miss Parsons asked the help of all members of the Historical Committee in collecting manuscripts, printed matter, photographs, and other such material for the historical exhibition to be held at the library. Mr. Lindstrom offered to give to the library for its permanent files, a mass of notes and other historical material which he has been collecting. He said that he has been waiting until he could get it re-typed at W.P.A. headquarters in the Cleveland Public Library under their direction and that they could arrange and file it. This collection was accepted for the Lakewood Public Library.
Mr. Cotabish announced that he is ready to give to Lakewood for the purpose of a Museum of History, the lot on the corner of Detroit and Grace (140 foot frontage by 164 foot depth) provided some provision can be made for the erection of a museum building as good in type as the Lakewood Public Library.
Mr. Lindstrom announced that Chief Red Path (137 St. Clair Avenue, no telephone) has an important collection of Indian material, much of it relating to this section, some of which he would undoubtedly be willing to lend for exhibition.
Miss Parons suggested that the Historical Committee approach public departments in Lakewood, organizations, and churches, asking whether each one wished to prepare any exhibit of its history for incorporation in the historical exhibit at the library. The committee wished to have the chairman communicate with the public departments, organizations, and churches about the exhibit. It was decided that space in the library for different parts of the exhibit would be allotted later when the committee could tell a little better which organizations would be likely to use space.
The committee pointed out that the present parish house of the Swendenborgian Church, on the corner of Detroit and Andrews is the original and the oldest church of any denomination in Lakewood. The committee was of the opinion that it might be well to emphasize this church in the exhibition and that probably help from other churches would be had rather in notifying members and getting their cooperation about the general exhibit then in the form historical exhibits from individual churches.
Mrs. Loomis offered to talk with the members of the D.A.R. and the Eastern Star to find out what material they could lend for the exhibit. She discussed the question of permanent disposition of the Regent Papers of the Lakewood chapter of the D.A.R. and seemed inclined to favor deposing these in the library if the library could care for them.
Mrs. Rogers and Mr. Grill agreed to work on publicity connected with the work of the Historical Committee.
Miss Parsons spoke of the desirability of having all local newspapers preserved through microphotography and of buying a projector, if possible, and showing a sample of this microphotography work as part of the exhibition. Mrs. Loomis thought that the members of the Lakewood chapter of the D.A.R. would be in accord, if the money given to the library by the D.A.R. were used toward the purchase of a projector.
Mr. Lindstrom offered to give the library a complete file of the Lakewood Press and offered to bind it. He offered also to bind the material from his own collection and notes and clippings after it has been typed at W.P.A. headquarters.
After the meeting, Mr. Grill told me that Mr. Shissler works on the editorials for the Lakewood Post and that Mr. Jim Fox, son of Mr. Fox of the Y.M.C.A., is news reporter.
21:5 LAKEWOOD SEMI-CENTENNIAL HISTORICAL COMMITTEE
JUNE 3, 1939
Mr. William C. Edwards (1483 Winchester Avenue, Lakewood), leader of Boy Scout Troop 52, called, bringing Captain Morrison of the Fire Department. He explained how Captain Morrison had cooperated with him in educational work on the Fire Department and fire prevention in showing boys of the eastern part of Lakewood what an expensive waste it was when false alarms were turned in. Mr. Edwards reported that this situation was completely cleared up and that the spirit is excellent.
Mr. Edwards will send me the name and address of the commissioner of Boy Scout work who unifies the work of the different troops in Lakewood. All Lakewood troops, he says, are responsible to headquarters in Cleveland but do have a commissioner for the Lakewood district.
Mr. Edwards presented to the library two photographs entitled "Jack Marks, Eagle Scout, Troop #52", and "Number 3 Fire house members demonstrating working of aparatus to boys of 4th ward."
I showed Mr. Edwards and Captain Morrison the Business Information collection and introduced them to Miss Grim.
I gathered, incidentally, from the interview, that there would undoubtedly be material for one or more excellent articles about the Fire Department if some one were to interview Chief Delaney.
21:6 MEMORANDUM - HISTORICAL COMMITTEE SEMI-CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION
MEMORANDUM OF TELEPHONE CONVERSATION WITH MR. LINDSTROM:
JUNE 7, 1939
Mr. Lindstrom will bring to the library this evening his file of the Lakewood Press so that workers on the historical project can look it through at once.
Mr. Lindstrom will later take it back and have it bound and put in better shape. I promised that we would be very careful of it.
Mr. Lindstrom will also bring some of his personal notes together with paper to be used in copying it. Be would like three copies to be made, one to be bound as a permanent file, one to be kept in a loose leaft file and the third for Mr. Lindstrom's own use.
21:7 MEMORANDUM - HISTORICAL COMMITTEE SEMI-CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION
MEMORANDUM OF TELEPHONE CONVERSATION WITH MRS. LOOMIS:
JUNE 8, 1939
Mrs. Loomis telephoned. Will insert notice in Masonic paper which goes to many former residents of Lakewood. Will ask people if sending in things to label them.
Will send copy of publicity for files.
** ** *** ** ** ** **
Memorandum of Dorothy E. Wood:
R.J. Wood, was in the Engineering Dept. of the city of Lakewood at the time Clifton Blvd. was put through. He recalls that when they reached the fence at the edge of of his land Mr. Hall met them with a shot-gun and refused to let them pass. Mr. Wood went to the mayor about it, but I don't recall what was done. Perhaps he could elaborate if necessary.
21:8 LAKEWOOD SEMI-CENTENNIAL - JUNE 8, 1939
LAKEWOOD'S SEMI-CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION BUDGET OF INCOME AND EXPENSES
Each performance - 2,560 seats @ 27¢ - $691.20
840 seats @ 52¢ - 436.80
Capacity for one performance - $1,128.00
Capacity for four performances - 4,512.00
50% of capacity performances - $2,256.00
SOUVENIR ADVERTISING PROGRAM GROSS RECEIPTS: - 1,500.00
WOODEN MONEY: -
5000 pieces @5¢ - 250.00
Gross Receipts if all wooden money is sold 250.00
NOVELTIES: - 25.00 25.00
UNDERWRITING CAMPAIGN APPROPRIATION: - 2,500.00
CITY APPROPRIATION: - 1,500.00
TOTAL POSSIBLE INCOME:- $8,031.00
BUDGET OF EXPENSES
Cost of printing tickets - 40.00
Cost of souvenir programs - 500.00
Cost of wooden money - 30.00
Cost of printing wooden money - 10.00
Novelties - 25.00
Total - 605.00
PUBLICITY DIVISION: -
Newspaper, distributive misc. 500.00
Construction of stage setting - 350.00
Electricity and wiring - 50.00
Amplification and sound records - 150.00
Ground men and field help 100.00
Music for rehearsals and performances 75.00
Properties and livestock - 100.00
Cashiers, police, etc. - 100.00
Miscellaneous - 50.00
Total - 975.00
SPECIAL EVENTS DIVISION: -
Events, parades, and bands - 500.00
Picnic - 1,500.00
HOSPITALITY DIVISION: -
Invitations, etc. 25.00
Headquarters and insurance - 400.00
10% FOR CONTINGENT FUND: - 410.00
J.B. ROGERS PRODUCING CO. CONTRACT:- 3,400.00
TOTAL EXPENSES: - $8,315.00
MEMORANDUM FOR MR. GRILL
DICTATED BUT NOT READ BY MISS PARSONS
JUNE 14, 1939
Meeting on the Lakewood Semi-Centennial called by Mr. Schreiber, June 9, 4 P.M. Chamber of Commerce.
Present were: Mr. Schreiber, the various committee chairman, and Mr. Hill, business representative of the Rogers Producing Company.
Dates for the Celebration were fixed for July 16 to 22 inclusive.
Mr. Hill presented the enclosed budget (Please return, my only copy) which was accepted in plan with the reservation that there might be some changes and the understanding that some money would have to be provided for decorations and probably for the historical exhibit at the library.
It was decided to have a "Miss Lakewood" in a dignified sort of way, as a help in selling books of tickets. A committee for the selection of a "Miss Lakewood" was to be appointed later.
Pageant title to be "Wagon West."
Proposals for street decorations were placed and it was decided to accept the proposal of the American Flag Decorating Company.
The Historical Committee chairman reported the division of work and Mr. Hill reported that the pageant director would hope to see Mr. Grill the following Monday. (Is there anything else Mr. Griffith can do? Call the library if you want him. Mayor Kauffman suggested to me that one scene in the pageant be the first council meeting. Mayor Kauffman has the original minute book.)
Finance Committee - Mr. Harmon is to be chairman, Mr. Ted Brooks on the committee.
Local Talent Committee - Mrs. Wright, Miss Darrogh, Mr. Foster.
Picnic Committee - Ted Brooks
Hospitality - Mrs. Bushenes.
There is to be a souvenir program handled and financed by an outside company which gives the Celebration Committee a percentage. National advertising will be used for the most part, with some allocation of space to local people if they really want it. They will not be urged to pay for this.
Mayor Kauffman told me afterward that we should see Mars Wagar, Forest Wagar, Mr. Barber, some one if possible from the Nicholson and Alger and Webb and Andrews families. May have some relics. Clayton W. Tyler would have ideas, or Mrs. Harry Barr, his sister (real estate business beyong Cranford).
The following memorandum has nothing to do with this committee meeting.
One the same day I called on Mr. Shissler and Mr. Hawley who offered to cooperate on the Lakewood Post and would be glad to have Mrs. Rogers send in the articles since it would be difficult for their reporters to cover everything. They also expressed interest in library publicity in general and said that they would be glad to handle considerably more of it next year if we wished them to. They also agreed to let Mr. Griffith work on and collate their own files after he has finished collating the library holdings of the Lakewood Post.
June 14, 1939
Mrs. Rogers and I have just conferred about publicity for the time that I shall be away. She plans to interview Mr. Lindstrom for an article on his collections which he has given to the library, and probably to see Mr. Tyler the following week. She will prepare articles on the exhibit asking people to bring in anything that they are willing to lend for exhibit on July 31st, at which time I shall be here to receive them. Mrs. Rogers and I talked about publicity for the following week which will be an article announcing for the evening of July 7, a meeting of descendants of early families in Lakewood, the meeting to be held at the library, when they will be told something of what we already have for exhibit and ask for their suggestions and help with other materials.
Time from the 8th to the 16th will be allowed for mounting the exhibit.
21:10 CELEBRATION UNIQUE AS IT IS WORTHWHILE
LAKEWOOD POST, APRIL 14, 1955
It strikes us that Lakewood's forthcoming "Pride of Progress" celebration, which will open with dedication of the new $1,200,000 civic auditorium this Sunday and continue for a month, represents about the most unique and the most legitimate civic observance to originated by any municipality anywhere which hAs come to our attention in recent years. Unquestionably there are few comparable residential cities in Lakewood's age catagory in a position to point to a similar total of recent public investments as tangible insurance of continued progress in contrast to the decline in desirability and property values so often taken for granted in maturing communities of homes. But, certainly there are some similar cities with at least a degree of justification for promoting and heralding the sort of public and private projects that are chief factors in maintaining and sustaining progress.
That Lakewood possesses men with sufficient imagination and initiative to first conceive the "Pride of Progress" idea plus a citizenry at large sufficiently intelligent to grasp and enthuse over the plan, is in itself, eloquent evidence of the spirit that has kept this city from going the way of the great majority of residential communities in its age bracket.
Lakewood's potential gain through the oncoming celebration can be counted upon to pay far greater dividends than any sort of civic observance we are able to imagine -- or that can be imagined by sound citizens who are members of the executive committee planning the event. Of course no accurate balance sheet can be drawn. But when you create and justify confidence in the future of an area comparable to Lakewood, when, at one fell swoop, you scotch heralds of doom with incontrovertable evidence, you certainly strengthen the investment of the most modest owner of property, add to the potential of every businessman and contribute constructively to the welfare of every person living in the community.
Lakewood's "Pride of Progress" makes sense. The seeds are planted. There will indeed be a worthwhile harvest. And, with such attractions as the Cleveland Symphony orchestra, the Horace Heidt Show Wagon, the University of Michigan Glee Club, a Religious Music Festival and a three day presentation in which virtually every school child will participate, supporting the "Pride of Progress' certainly will not come under the heading of onerous public duties.
All of can count confidently on having a good time and doing ourselves plenty of good in the process.
21:11 2,000 PUPILS REHEARSE HUGE 'SEEDS OF PROGRESS' PAGEANT FOR MY DATES
LAKEWOOD POST, APRIL 14, 1955
"Seeds of Progress" a fast-moving pageant depicting the grandeur of our American heritage, will be presented by nearly 2,000 Lakewood public school pupils as a major feature in Lakewood's Pride of Progress Month, May 12, 13 and 14. It will be staged in the new Lakewood Civic Auditorium, a part of Lakewood High school, which will permit the movement of 500 participants on the stage. Martin Essex, Superintendent of Schools, expressed general satisfaction this week with the progress of casting and rehearsale. Lakewood citizens are looking forward to a typically outstanding presentation.
Virgil Wallace, Principal of Harding Junior High School, is General Chairman for the pageant. The program is being coordinated by T.R. Evans, Supervisor of Music, and the staging is udner the direction of Wallace Smith, Teacher of Drama and Speech, and Mellissa Miner, of the English Department at Lakewood High School.
"Seeds of Progress" will exhibit another use of the long-anticipated auditorium. It will combine the orchestra under the direction of Arthur Jewell and the Senior A Cappella Choir under the direction T.R. Evans and voice choir under the direction of Dale Hutson, Curriculum Co-ordinator. These three organized groups will provide background for the presentation of ten episodes or friezes. A review of the musical selections indicates that they will be lively, and that they will exemplify the stirring, patriotic tradition of the American heritage. Eight of the ten scenes will be presented by the Lakewood High School students, one outstanding frieze will be presented by the Junior High Schools and another very significant one by the Elementary schools.
The script for the Senior High presentation was written by Dale Hutson, Tom Cook, Gladys Colloff, T.R. Evans, Melissa Miner, and Wallace Smith. The Junior High script was prepared by Martha Durbin, Florence Keck and Susannah Teare. It will be presented under the direction of Caspar C. Clark, Principal of Horace Mann Junior High School, who will be assisted by John Corina of Emerson, Richard Strang of Harding, and Mrs. Louise Parker and James Ulrich of Horace Mann.
The elementary School production will be directed by Zara Sumner, Assistant Supervisor of Music, and the music teachers in each of the elementary schools.
Lighting, scenery and amplification for the staging is under the chairmanship of Tom Cook, Chairman of the High School Art Department. He will be assisted in lighting by George Webb and Orrin Findley. Faculty members who are assisting in the preparation of the scenery include David Rossi, Harold Winkel, Leonard Bluhm, J.D. Martin and Ivan Mowry. Glenn Boruff and Franklin Jefferies will be in charge of amplification.
The title, "Seeds of Progress" is taken from the insciption cut in the granite of the outer lobby which reads as follows:
On this site a century ago
Dr. Jared Potter Kirkland,
Lakewood's noted naturalist
Through ingenuity and courage
Successfully sowed seeds
Of agriculture of science -
The glory of the Ohio settler.
In this building
Lakewood Civic Auditorium
Let us sow seeds of culture -
Of speech of drama of song -
That all who enter
Will reap a harvest from ideas
Which are planted here.
It was written by students and faculty members some years ago when the details of the building were in the planning stages. Thus, "Seeds of Progress" will show the uses and possibilities for the auditorium in sowing various seeds such as those of song, of dance, of drama, of faith, of patriotism and civic responsibilities by the spreading of ideas and discussion.
Admission will be by tickets which will be available May 1 in all of Lakewood's 14 schools. The admission charge of only 25 cents will be used to defray the cost of staging. Tickets will control the size of the audience.
This week many Lakewood teachers and students were recalling fondly the spectacular presentation by the schools during Lakewood's observation of the Ohio Sesqui-centennial in 1953. The event was staged in the new High School gymnasium and the audience overwhelmed its 2,000 capacity for three consecutive evenings. It necessitated a fourth presentation. Since present auditorium has a definite 2,000 seating capacity, only 2,000 seats will be made available for each of the three evenings.
21:12 INVESTMENT OF MILLIONS IN PUBLIC PROJECTS INSURES CITY'S CONTINUED PROGRESS
LAKEWOOD POST, APRIL 14, 1955
Lakewood's month long Pride of Progress celebration which gets underway Sunday with dedication of the town's new $1,200,000 Civic auditorium described elsewhere in today's Post - will concentrate on emphasizing the vast difference between assured future and the drab prospect that confronts so many seasoned communities.
Never before has a comparable Ohio city compiled a total of construction projects so large and so closely related to improving welfare of citizens and value of property as has Lakewood during the past decade.
Sponsors of the Pride of Progress point out that the many millions of dollars represented by municipal, school, church, commercial and larger housing projects recently completed or underway, represent tangible insurance of continued Lakewood progress. Aim of the celebration is to imbue the community and the area at large with the confidence and the enthusiasm which has prompted the investment of many millions of dollars in the sort of construction both public and private which can only have its justification where a brightened and broadened future is clearly indicated for the community. On this basis, Pride of Progress sponsors point out, the valid promise that confronts Lakewood in the years immediately ahead is assuredly equal to that of any comparable city in Ohio.
The Pride of Progress idea had its inception months ago when it was pointed out that the new civic auditorium will compare in every essential with such centers as Severence Hall or Public Music Hall. The small group of representative citizens considering most effective means of acquainting the community with the auditorium's possibilities as a West Side culture center, drifted into a discussion of the almost magical expansion of Lakewood public facilities during the recent years.
Gradually the Pride of Progress idea was evolved. It was new, unique, in tune with the Lakewood spirit responsible for the city's development, its character, ideals and initiative. Enthusiasm mounted as possibilities became apparent.
The solid citizens who took it upon themselves to get plans underway, to recruit representatives of organizations, churches and civic groups were old timers at arranging community celebrations. But every individual reported the reception accorded the Pride of Progress idea was unprecedented. Cooperation was freely offered in every quarter contacted.
"The notable thing about Pride of Progress is the fact that enthusiasm over its possibilities and conviction as to its permanent value increases in direct relation to the time and thought you accord it," is the way Charley Geiger, executive committee chairman puts it.
The impressive fact about the millions that have been poured into major Lakewood projects in the past decade - actually during the last few years - is particularly impressive because what has been happening is not merely the continuation of a building program, the result of popualtion growth, or a replacement of outmoded facilities. Actually, Lakewood really stopped growing a quarter century ago. It has been thirty years since a new school has been built and none are needed now.
The whole answer to the past decade's progress, with particular emphasis on the past five years, is in the fact that by far the major portion of the unprecedented construction total has been expended in making Lakewood a better place in which to live, to raise children, to shop. And, with extension of Edgewater drive in the immediate offing and a dozen important commercial developments projected, the trend toward assured progress has by no means its peak. Among public works there is a new $800,000 library program nearing completion which will give the town the most beautiful and impressive plant owned by any comparable municipality in Ohio. Plans for providing more all important off street parking are already well advanced. A new municipal building is certain to receive consideration in the large area in the city's center which is publically owned.
Meanwhile, although statisitics are not available, there can be no questioning the fact that, in few comparable communities, are individual homes kept in better repair or is rehabilitation of residential property so general.
What is the total invested in Lakewood from public funds, by businessmen and other citizens by outside interests? Were every loose end taken into accounting the figure would reach $50,000,-000 some members of the Pride of Progress executive committee believe.
But there is no inclination to put a fancy frame around a picture that needs no embellishment - that, in itself, is far and away the most impressive in Ohio.
21:13 200 BLOCKS TO BE DECORATED FOR CELEBRATION
BUNTING, PENNANTS, WINDOW POSTERS TO HERALD EVENT
LAKEWOOD POST, APRIL 14, 1955
Lakewoodites abroad early Saturday morning will be treated to a rare sight. During the night busy crews of workmen from a Cleveland display firm are scheduled to turn the city's main thorofares into veritable colonnades of flashing colors heralding Lakewood's city-wide 'Pride of Progress' celebration opening Sunday.
Two hundred city blocks including all major intersections, entrances to the city and shopping districts will be decorated. Upwards of 350 telephone poles along the main arteries will be dressed in gay bunting of red, white and blue stars and bars, and 17,000 feet, or more than three miles of multi-colored pennants will fly from lines strung at regular intervals across Detroit and Madison avenues.
"The decorating program for Lakewood's Pride of Progress celebration is the most lavish scheduled by any community in northern Ohio in recent history," reports Stephen Babin Jr., chairman of the celebration's Business and Industry committee which is picking up the $6,000 tab. Gallo Displays are in charge of the work.
In addition to the street decorations, some 24 members of the Detroit-Warren Betterment association, the Madison Avenue Businessmen's association, the Detroit-W. 11th Businessman's association and Sloan-Detroit Merchant's representatives this week were calling on 700 merchants, banks and real estate people with 'Pride of Progress' window decorating kits which will further call attention to the observance.
The kits consist of large 'Pride of Progress' posters, a card-board cutout with a replica of the city pioneer on the facade of the Civic auditorium and 'Try Lakewood First' plaques.
A total of 10,000 automobile decals further heralding the citywide celebration was distributed to a similar number of public and parochial school children on Tuesday. Parents are asked to early affix them to the family car.
All in all, no expense has been spared to bring attention to the city-wide celebration.
Assisting Mr. Babin Jr. on the Business and Industry committee are Ernest Farr, Harry Bolton, Frank Meyers, Jerry Ratner, Glen Nuss, Russell Clapper and Charles Foster.
21:14 250-VOICE ALL-CHURCH CHOIR SUNDAY
Rabbi Silver to Speak; Clergy to be introduced
LAKEWOOD POST, MAY 5, 1955
Complete success of Lakewood's current Pride of Progress celebration, already well assured by the huge crowds attending the festival's initial public events in the new Civic Auditorium, will be lent added lustre this Sunday (Mother's Day) when upwards of 250 representatives of participating Lakewood Protestant and Catholic church choirs join in an impressive Vesper Concert on the boards of the Civic Hall stage. The time is 3:30 o'clock.
Rabbi Abba Hillel Silver, spiritual leader of The Temple in Cleveland, largest liberal Jewish congregation in the U.S. will deliver an address during the afternoon program which will be precdeded by introduction of attending clergymen seated in a place of honor on the stage.
Charley Geiger, chairman of the "Pride of Progress" executive committee will introduce the pastors and Louis B. Seltzer, editor of the Press is to preface Rabbi Silver's address on the contribution of music to religion. Martin Essex, superintendent of Lakewood public schools will conduct church leaders on a tour of the Civic Hall at 2:45 p.m. preceding the concert.
T.R. Evans, director of the Lakewood Civic Chorus, will conduct the chorus of 250 singers in four selections. John Corina and Cyril Chinn, organists respectively of Trinity Lutheran and Lakewood Methodist churches and Joy Lawrence of Rocky River Methodist will accompany the group on the auditorium's electronic organ, judged best of its class by critics. Dale D. Hutson, organist at the Church of the Ascension, will open the festival program with four preludes, pointing up the instrument's versatility.
Mr. Evans will share conducting duties with Nelson N. Harper, former supervisor of music for the Catholic Diocese. Mr. Harper will be accompanied by Raymond M. Schneider, organist of St. James Church. Other guest conductors will include Russell Abbott, accompanied by his wife, both of Lakewood Congregational church, J.C. McCollum, director of music at Lakewood Baptist church, who will be accompanied by Graham Marsh, organist at Lakewood Presbyterian church.
The Rt. Rev. Mdgr. Joseph J. Schmidt, pastor of St. Clement's Catholic church, will give the invocation and Rev. Irving Chase, pastor of Lakewood Evangelical United Brethren church, the benediction.
Del Jay Kinney has served as chairman of the festival's planning committee. Other members of the committee are Ralph L. Anderson, president of the Lakewood Civic Chorus; Rev. Robert F. Beck, president of the Lakewood Ministerial Association, and Nelson N. Harper, Presidents of Lakewood Hi-Y and Friendship Clubs will usher. A free will collection will be taken to defray expenses.
Participating church choirs and choruses include Brooklyn Memorial Methodist, Church of the Ascension, Episcopal, Detroit Avenue Methodist, Faith Lutheran, First Evangelical and Reformed, Lakewood Baptist, Lakewood Congregational, Lakewood Methodist, Lakewood Mother Singers, Lakewood Presbyterian, Rockport Methodist, Rocky River Methodist, St. Clement's, St. James, Trinity Lutheran, and West Park Congregational.
21:15 2,500 CHILDREN IN PRODUCTION STARTING TONIGHT
LAKEWOOD POST, MAY 12, 1955
A fast moving spectacular is the advance estimate of the Lakewood school's pageant "Seeds of Progress", opening a three performance presentation tonight in the new Civic Auditorium at Lakewood High School. The pageant climaxes the community's month-long Pride of Progress celebration. Nearly 2,500 Lakewood Public school pupils will take part in the original American heritage dramatic and musical event to be presented this evening, with repeat performances Friday and Saturday nights.
"Lakewood citizens will be proud of their young performers and of the versatile use they are making of the new auditorium facilities. The pageant symbolizes effectively the purposes for which Lakewood residents erected the edifice, and depicts our proud heritage," Martin Essex, Superintendent of Schools, told The Post as rehearsals ended this week.
Curtain time will be 8 p.m. tonight for parents and friends of students from Lakewood High School, Horace Mann Junior High, Harrison, McKinley, and Lincoln Elementary schools. Friday's performance will be given for parents and friends of the High school, Emerson, Grant, Franklin, Garfield, and Taft schools. Saturday night's show will be presented by High school students, and others from Harding, Hayes, Madison, and Roosevelt.
Tickets for the special nights, at a nominal charge of 25 cents to defray expenses, are available at the schools indicated, or at the High school bookroom for all performances. Any tickets not sold at schools will be available at the auditorium on the specified nights. There are no reserve seats. Two thousand tickets have been printed for each performance. No more will be available.
The pageant promises all the glamour of a Broadway production with rapidly-paced scenes of drama, dancing, verse speaking, singing, and orchestra music depicting America's rich heritage and the cultural opportunities that Lakewood's Civic Auditorium will provide in the future as it sows the seeds of song, of dance, of civic responsibility, of faith, and of patriotism. The pageant script was written by members of the school's staff under the leadership of Dale Hutson, Curriculum Coordinator, Lakewood High school. Assisting in the writing were Tom Cook, Gladys Dolloff, T.R. Evans, Melissa Miner and Wallace Smith. Junior High school faculty playwrights were Martha Durbin, Florence Keck and Susannah Teare.
Direction of the pageant has been the responsibility of Wallace Smith, Speech and Drama instructor, and Melissa Miner, associate director, both members of the Lakewood High school staff. They are being assisted by John Corina, Louise Parker, Richard Strang, and James Ulrich, music instructors in the junior high schools.
Direction of the elementary schools' scene is by Zara Sumner, Assistant Supervisor of Music. She is assisted by Anne Becker, Betty Crawford, Carlton Davis, Fedora DeMattia, Cynthia Evans, Letitia Evans, Natalie Fitch, Elizabeth Geist, Rosa Hymes, Sarah Jones, Eleanor Kanocz, Miriam Long, Lucille McGraith, and Mildred Sibley, who are music teachers in the elementary schools.
Staging is under the direction of Tom Cook and David Rossi, with help from Orrin Findley, George Webb, Leonard Bluhm, Joseph Martin, Ivan Mowry, Harold Winkle, Glenn Boruff, Franklin Jefferis, Walter Wasmuth. Arthur Jewell directs the orchestra. T.R. Evans the A Cappella choir, Adell Kleinecke and Patricia Wilson the dance groups, and Dale Hutson and Edna Kleinmeyer the verse choir. Pageant traffic movement has been organized by Theodore Cunningham, Cletis Johnson and William Waters.
Administration of the pageant is under the general chairmanship of Virgil Wallace, Principal of Harding Junior High School. Vice Chairman is T.R. Evans, Director of Music for the Lakewood schools. Mahlon Povenmire, Caspar Clark, and Zara Sumner are chairmen for the High school, Junior High schools, and Elementary schools with assistance provided by the school principals. Sam S. Dickey, Marthella Spinneweber, Ralph Telfer, and Joe Wilson have planned details of tickets, ushers, and programs.
The pageant title, "Seeds of Progress," is taken from an inscription of purposes put in the granite of the outer lobby.
12:16 NEW FEATURES SET FOR 23rd LAKEWOOD DAY
LAKEWOOD POST, JULY 14, 1955
Arrangements are under way to make this year's 23rd Annual Community Get-Together an oustanding treat for children of all ages, according to Ted Brooks, General Chairman of the event scheduled for Wednesday, July 27, in Lakewood Park.
The afternoon and evening hours are already filled with treats for young and old and more surprises are in store. Another of the popular Miss Lakewood contests is being planned.
Bill Randle, Radio Station WERE's nationally famous disc jockey, will be the Master of Ceremonies for the evening's festivities. He will announce the cash award winners of the children's parade with three prizes being awarded in each of the following classes - prettiest costume, funniest costume, decorated doll buggy, decorated bicycle and decorated wagon or float. Entries for the parade will be limited to children up to 12 years. Parade Marshall Mrs. Ethel Pethick, said that every child entering the parade will receive a prize.
Commander Robert R. Ross of V.F.W. Post 387 will present the Colors and F.M. Phillips is to announce the award to the oustanding citizen.
A gigantic fireworks display will be presented on the lake-front through the courtesy of the Thomas J. Unik Insurance Co.
President Ed Rawson of the Junior Chamber of Committee, said his group will man the free popsicle booth in the afternoon. He has appointed JayCee Richard Nelson to process the applicants for the Miss Lakewood bathing beauty contest. Races and games for prizes will be held during the afternoon for boys and girls under the supervision of the City Recreation Department's Don Lee.
Tiny tots will have the opportunity of getting the thrill rides of their lives at the free pony track.
City Recreation Director Chalres A. Foster, has made arrangements to have a concert played by the Sumner Recreation Band under the direction of Art Jewell.
21:17 HISTORICAL PAGEANT ON FEB. 17 TO LAUNCH CITY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
LAKEWOOD POST, JAN. 26, 1961
A colorful Historical Pageant depicting scenes of the 1911 era, a contest to choose an official flag for Lakewood, erection of a Commemoration Monument, a huge parade, frequent Community Days, and a giant Festival of Freedom will be among major events in the six-month citywide celebration of Lakewood's Golden Anniversary which starts Friday, Feb. 17th.
Preliminary announcement of plans for the gala salute to the community on its 50th birthday were revealed by Donald Walton, general chairman of the Anniversary committee, at Thursday's Fiftieth Anniversary banquet of Lakewood Chamber of Commerce held at Lake Shore hotel. Enthusiasm for the projected celebration ran high at the meeting and Chairman Walton told The Post yesterday he is confident that the six-month series of events will not only be enjoyed by participants and spectators alike but will fittingly commemorate Lakewood's growth and progress through the years since 1911 when it was chartered as a city.
The main commemorative activity of Historical Month-February-will take place on the evening of Feb. 17th in the Civic Auditorium when a colorful pageant now being assembled by Mrs. Margaret Manor Butler, author of 'The Lakewood Story,' assisted by Mrs. D.M. Ranney, will be staged, depicting scenes of the 1911 era in pantomime. Different facets of community life such as the Government, Hospital, Schools, Churches, Recreation and Community activities will be shown. Each scene will have silent, costumed actors in particular activity which Narrator Karl Mackey, managing director of Lakewood Little theater, will describe. Music will be a major part of the program with several musical groups and the audience participating.
Flag Design Contest
Duirng March, the Lakewood public and parochical schools will conduct a flag design contest, the final chosen design to become the official flag of Lakewood. Mrs. A.H. Milnes and Ralph Rood are serving as co-chairmen of the contest.
Churches of Lakewood will be asked to cooperate with a Commemoration Sunday, on Feb. 12th at which time the spiritual heritage of Lakewood will be stressed.
The 'Golden Year' theme will be accented by many Lakewood clubs and societies. On Feb. 15th Lakewood Junior Chamber of Commerce will honor their past presidents in commemoration of the 50th year. The PTA Council, on Feb. 17, will celebrate its 54th anniversary by a Founders day program featuring a Style Show spotlighting milady's fashions of 'then and now.' On March 6, Lakewood Woman's club will have a program based on a historical theme. On March 13, the Junior Woman's club will conduct a program based around the founding of Lakewood. Other groups planning special events during February, March and April include Court Lakewood, Catholic Daughters of America, Lakewood Who's New club, Lakewood Swim club, Lakewood Library, Lakewood YMCA, Lakewood Elks, Lakewood District of Girl Scouts, Lakewood Stamp club, Lakewood Skating club, Lakewood Recreation department.
Lakewood Kiwanis club will erect a monument during the early part of May at the western area of Lakewood at which time the International President of the service organization will be present to dedicate same. Entombed in the monument will be names and addresses of officers of all Lakewood organizations, civic mementos and a copy of the Anniversary Edition of The Lakewood Post. Ten young men will be commissioned to open the monument 50 years hence.
Anniversary finale month of July will feature the huge Festival of Freedom program in Lakewood Park on Independence Day, followed by the traditional Lakewood Day festivities later in the month. The intervening period between the two events will feature projects, sales and displays by the separate merchants organizations and others.
A spokesman for the Golden Anniversary committee points out: "With the above scheduled events in but little more than tentative form, the celebration will certainly be impressive and befitting of the official slogan, 'Lakewood Prospectus Futuri Sunt Gloriosi,' translated meaning, 'Lakewood Prospects for the Future are Glorious.'"
21:18 PARADE, PAGEANT, PICNIC SCHEDULED IN WEEK'S PROGRAM
Week of Observance to Begin Sunday with Religious Services; 8,000 In Two-mile Parade, 1,000 in Gala Pageant
Streets gayly decorated with red, white and blue 'pioneer' banners; merchants busy preparing floats; marching units drilling daily; 1,000 players rehearsing for a mammoth four day pageant; all foretell the coming of Lakewood's largest community celebration, the 50th anniversary of incorporation next week.
Beginning Sunday and continuing for one week, Mr. and Mrs. Lakewood will have plenty to do and plenty of places to go.
The Semi-Centennial celebration will officially begin Sunday with religious services at many of the Lakewood churches. For the first time in Lakewood history, church goers will hear of the achievements of their community. They will hear how it has grown from a small hamlet of 400 to the ninth largest city in the state with a population of 75,000. They will hear of the trials of the early pioneers who shaped the community into a city of homes and churches.
Co-chairmen of the religious committee are Dr. W.W.T. Duncan of the Lakewood Methodist Episcopal church and Monseignor Francis J. Dubosh of Ss. Cyril and Methodius church.
Monday will be known as "Homecoming Day", a day dedicated to the renunion of former Lakewoodites.
Tuesday, 7:30, a two-mile, two-hour parade will march from West Clifton boulevard east on Detroit avenue to Wyandotte avenue, where the marching units will fall out. The mobile and mounted units will close ranks and continue out Detroit to W. 117th street to Madison avenue and west on Madison avenue to Riverside drive. The reviewing stand will be west of Bunts road.
Lakewood police under Police Chief L.B. Miller have asked motorists to move their cars off Detroit avenue before 7 p.m., Tuesday. Cars that are left on Detroit avenue will be towed to the nearest intersecting street before the parade arrives. Motorists wanting to cross Detroit avenue between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. will be diverted to the east or west of the parade.
Features 30 bands
Featured in the parade will be 30 drum and bugle corps, hundreds of marching units, 50 floats, 2 bagpipe units, 20 nationality groups, four military detachments, and hundreds of fraternal and civic representative groups.
More than a quarter million people are expected to view the parade and another 8,000 to participate in the two-mile parade.
Municipal Judge Henry J. Williams is chairman of the parade committee, while Naval Commander Frederick G. Robinson, retired, is chief of staff. Commander Robinson has managed many of the biggest parades in Cleveland and will have charge of formation of the Tuesday parade.
Heading the parade as Grand Marshal will be Brigadier General William L. Marlin, the highest ranking officer in this area and Lakewood resident, and as Honorary Marshal, Col. Donald Pancoast of the 112th Engineers. The crack mounted troop of Cleveland Police, proclaimed champions of United States, will follow the Marshal's car.
Parade Entries Listed
Entries in the parade to date include:
Order of column in detail: Cleveland Mounted Police, escort, Colonial Guard, Western Reserve Chapter Sons of the American Revolution, Wagons West Covered Wagon and Old Timers, Theme of Semi-Centennial, Miss Lakewood and Columbia on float, Cleveland Grays' Crack Military Band, William Maloney Comdg., Martin O'Donnell's Marching Deputies, Escort to the Grand Marshal, Grand Marshall Brig. Gen. William L. Marlin, Chief of Veterans Bureau Honorary Marshall Col. Donald Pancoast, commanding 112th Engineers Staff, Detachment of eight chief petty officers of U.S. Navy, Lt. O.K. O'Daniel Comdg., Parade Chairman, Judge Henry J. Williams, Mayor Amos I. Kauffman, Former Mayors J.J. Rowe and N.C. Cotabish and C.W. Tyler, President of Incorporation Charles H. Schreiber.
Division I - Military - Wurlitzer band; Battery B, 135th Field Artillery, Capt. E.T. Fish, Comdr.
Division II - Wurlitzer band; Grand Army of the Republic and affiliated organization; Sons of the U.S.W.V. Drum Corps; United
21:19 1450 Winton Ave.
June 21, 1939
Dear Miss Parsons,
I have just been talking to Margaret Suhr Reed, Mrs. George C., 22913 Mastick Rd., North Olmsted, O., Cl.2058J. She has been doing articles for the women's page of the Plain Dealer on what to do for the children, where to go to take advantage of the interesting things to be found in our neighborhood, and so on. I know her rather well. I told her about the exhibit you are planning for the Library for the S.-C.C. and volunteered my help and influence with you (!) to get her an interview enough ahead of time so that she can see what we are going to exhibit, hear about it, talk to you, and what not, in time to syncronize a column article for the P.D. the week we have our exhibit. As the P.D. pays her for special articles, we're sure to get at least that much publicity in a downtown paper.
She was properly grateful for my offer and for any help I can give her in making an appointment with you, and felt that she could do a nice article.
Her stuff would not conflict with anything you wanted me to do, I am sure. I trust you will not mind being party to a pleasant bit of fiction. I felt, probably unjustly, that we should be seeming to confer rather be getting favors, and that any publicity was all clear profit.
Mary Lyell Rogers (Signature)
21:20 LAKEWOOD'S EARLY RESIDENTS MEET AT THE LAKEWOOD LIBRARY
JULY 21, 1939
As a fitting climax to the week that Lakewood has spent celebrating her fiftieth birthday, a group of eighty early residents responded to Mrs. G.E. Young's call to meet at the Lakewood Public Library, Friday evening, to spend an evening reminiscing about old times, and to see the library's historical exhibit and the pictures of the old families and their homes.
Mrs. Young herself, the former Angie Hall, told how her father Squire Hall, used to hold court in his home. One jury trial, that lasted six weeks, so completely wore out the Hall's living room rug that they were forced to buy a new one. She also recalled that whenever Constable Hennie wanted to arrest a drunk, he had to get the "Lock-Up's" wheelbarrow and wheel him in. Mrs. Young also said that when any of the boys or girls of her generation wanted to go swimming, they'd hitch a rope to a vineyard post and go hand over hand down the seventy foot cliffs that line Lakewood's shore.
Harry Welfare then took over the meeting and introduced six men who had been members of Lakewood's first football team. They were W. Fahrenbach, Art Ewald, Joe Cotabish, Clifford Webb, Howard Horn, and Mr. Welfare himself.
Then as each person present rose to announce his name, some added a few words. Bertie Wagar, who is eighty-four, told how she used to go to school to her older sister who is still alive and is ninety-six now, and said she would always remember the day she was sent home from school because she wouldn't call her sister "MissWagar".
Maude Tegardine said that her father,Jacob, was so disappointed to have all his five children girls that she bought slacks and did he best to live up to them!
Bertha Schupp Horn reminded everyone that Lakewood's first playhouse group was organized about 1880. They used David Wagar's barn at thecorner of Hilliard and Warren Rd. The original players were Fred Morley, Chris Maile, Nellie Maile, Lou Bowers, Chris Sothern, Charles Schupp, Sophie Schupp, and David Wagar. The first plays they produced were "Peck's Bad Boy" and "Ten Nights In A Barroom". At that point Bob Wagar, who had come in from Sandusky for the meeting, rose and said he remembered the "Ten Nights" for he had slept back-stage in a little box while the performance was going on.
Fred Mitchell chuckled over his difficulties to collect the $1.50 a week he was paid to be janitor for the Methodist Church. For that magnificent sum he trimmed twenty-four coal-oil lamps, swept out the church, tended the fires, and so on. Then he had to wait for the Sunday evening collection to see if there would be enough money to pay his wages. Sometimes he'd get the entire collection and it would amount to only eighty-five cents!
Mars Wagar gave the Library's Historical Collection the first time-table of the "Dinky" dated Sept. 15, 1868. He recalled that the only person who was ever hurt by the "Dinky" was his father's one-armed hired man, Bill Atkinson, who was run over and killed one Sunday. He also described a baseball game between the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds when they pitched underhand and each team scored about eighty runs.
Mr. N.C. Cotabish announced that he would give his land at the corner of Grace Ave. and Detroit for an Historical Museum for Lakewood if a proper building could be financed. He urged the old families of Lakewood to save objects of historical interest for the Museum. And Miss Mary Parsons said that the Lakewood Library was starting an Historical Room and would welcome any gifts of old manuscripts, pictures, maps, and the like, to be kept in the Library as a permanent file on old Lakewood.
The meeting broke up after everyone had decided that they had had such a good time seeing all their old friends that they wanted to meet again. Mrs. G.E. Young collected all the names and addresses of those who had been present,and plans are under way now to organize a get-together each year for all of Lakewood's early settlers and their descendants.
Mary Lyell Rogers
July 22, 1939
Copies sent to Lakewood Post
Cleveland Plain Dealer
21:21 ORGANIZATION CHART OF LAKEWOOD GOLDEN JUBILEE
LAKEWOOD, OHIO 1939
SUGGESTIONS FOR PERSONNEL:
Honorary Chairmen - Honorable Amos I. Kauffman, Mayor of the City of Lakewood, and all living former Mayors of the City of Lakewood.
General Chairman - Should be a man of administrative ability, who presides well at meetings, who can procure community wide support and will give the time necessary to do a good job. In general charge.
General Vice-Chairman - To be assistant to the General Chairman and take his place when he is not available. Should be a man who has the same general characteristics as the General Chairman.
Advisory Committee - To act in a general advisory capacity, serving as a laison to the organizations of Lakewood and stimulating the participation of everyone in this celebration. Should consist of representatives of Lakewood organizations and other component parts.
Executive Committee - To receive and approve such plans as feasible submitted by sub-committees, working in close cooperation with the officers and to determine important matters of policy. Should consist of the officers and the Chairmen of all Committees.
Operations Committee - To direct general day-to-day operations of the celebration and to make decisions in connection with management as do not involve any important questions of policy. Chairman should be General Chairman. Other members should be Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, Chairman of the Finance Committee and the Secretary.
Finance Committee - To make recommendations regarding various sources of financing, to review and make recommendations regarding costs and financing, to review and make recommendations regarding costs and financing of events and other celebration details and to gave general charge of all financing activities approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one preferably who has had experience in raising substantial sums of money for civic affairs, who is not afraid to tackle a substantial job of this kind, who is realistic about sources of funds and yet does not lack imagination regarding possibilities. Others should have similar characteristics and supplement the Chairman's abilities.
Treasurer - To receive and deposit all monies, co-sign all checks after authorized and give an accounting of all receipts and expenditures when requested by the Executive Committee. Should be a man accustomed to such duties and located conveniently to Celebration Headquarters.
Secretary - To carry out duties ordinarily assigned to such office including the making of arrangements for meetings, assisting officers and committees in procuring information and otherwise being helpful to the organization.
Committee on Committees - To make recommendations regarding organization structure and committee personnel. Members should be those with a wide circle of acquaintance and who will carefully pick personnel for the job to be done rather than to promote certain individuals and such personnel should be picked with great care and deliberation.
Municipal Co-ordinating Committee - To use every effort in arranging for the co-ordination of Municipal Government units with phase of the Golden Jubilee Celebration. Chairman should be the President of City Council. Membership of the Committee should include all other members of the City Council.
Program Co-ordinating Committee - To make recommendations on the co-ordination of events or "dead" periods during the celebration and to make up a calendar of events after approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one who preferably is accustomed to scheduling events, who has a fair knowledge of the time various events take and who is not afraid to make a recommendation. Other members of the committee should be those whose abilities will be helpful to the Chairman.
Historical Committee - To assemble historical books, manuscripts, photos, data, etc., and organize it in such a manner that it will aid in the preparation of: a. Histories, b. Historical sketches, c. Interesting newspaper features, d. Pageant scenarios, e. Parade float ideas. Chairman should be one in a neutral position with the ability and facilities at hand to carry out the above duties and to properly preserve valuable historical pieces. Members should be those who have written historical sketches, old-time citizens, newspapermen, and people who can assist in this basic work.
Pageants Committee - To make recommendations on plans for pageants and commemorative ceremonies and to carry out plans for such events approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one thoroughly familiar with the possibilities and problems of such work, preferably with previous experience, and with ability to procure and direct willing co-workers. Someone with ability to write or edit scenarios. Other members should have talents and contacts of value to the Chairman.
Exhibits Committee - To recommend plans suitable exhibits of historical and modern Lakewood and carry out such plans approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one who has ability along exhibition or display lines and understands the publicity value of such promotions. Other members should be those whose abilities will supplement those of the chairman.
Community Picnic Committee - To recommend plans for the Seventh Annual Community Picnic and carry out such plans as approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one capable of directing the operations of the several sub-committees for this large annual event. Members should be similar to those kinds of people used in previous years.
Religious Observations Committee - To recommend plans for religious observances of the 50th Anniversary and to carry out such plans as approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one who will effectively promote this program. Other members may be clergymen and others who will assist.
Special Features Committee - To recommend plans for special features for the celebration and carry out plans approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one with imagination and promotional ability who can devise new and unique ideas. Members should be ones whose abilities will supplement those of Chairman.
Publicity Committee - To recommend plans for publicity and direct such plans as are approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one who has ability to direct publicity operations. Members should be others whose abilities will supplement those of the Chairman.
Decorations Committee - To recommend plans for suitable street decorations and other decorations and carry out such plans approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one who has previous experience or ability in this direction. Members should be others with similar abilities.
Music Committee - To recommend plans for musical events including music used in connection with other events and to carry out plans approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one who can direct such efforts and procure the cooperation of musical units. Other members should have abilities useful to the Chairman.
Parade Committee - To recommend plans for parades and carry out plans approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one familiar with parade technique and who can procure cooperation of others useful in this connection. Other members should have abilities that will supplement those of the Chairman.
Contests Committee - To recommend plans for contests and sporting events and carry out such plans as are approved by the Executive Committee, Chairman should be one who has had experience in such matters and has wide knowledge of facilities and equipment and personnel that might be used in this connection. Other members should have abilities will supplement those of the Chairman.
Visitors Committee - To recommend plans for inviting and properly receiving former Lakewoodites and others and to carry out those plans approved by the Executive Committee. Chairman should be one somewhat familiar with the type of work done to develop attendance at conventions. Other members should be those who can supplement the Chairman's efforts including at least one representative from every organization, church, etc. in Lakewood.
LAKEWOOD, OHIO APRIL 24, 1939
On February 9th, 1939, a meeting was held in the Lakewood Council Chamber consisting of representatives of the various organizations, groups, churches and schools for the purpose of discussing the advisability of holding a Golden Anniversary Celebration of the organization of Lakewood.
At that meeting a sub-committee of nine was appointed for the purpose of formulating and recommending general plans, a permanent organization structure, sub-committees, their personnel and duties. This committee has advised it is now in a position to submit its report to the general committee which consists of the representatives of all groups.
It is therefore, requested that representatives of all the organizations and groups attend a meeting at
The Lakewood Council Chamber
1478 Warren Road
Thursday, April 27, 1939
to hear the report of the sub-committee and take such action as may be deemed advisable.
Yours very truly,
Amos I. Kauffman (signed)
21:23 LAKEWOOD, OHIO SEMI-CENTENNIAL INC.
JULY 16 TO 22, 1939
To the City Departments, Clubs, and Churches of Lakewood:
The Historical Committee of the Lakewood Semi-Centennial Celebration is planning to hold an exhibition of Lakewood historical material, including manuscripts, books, photographs of streets, houses, and early settlers, maps, etc., in the Library from July 16 to July 22.
The Committee would like to reserve space for you if you care to prepare an illustrated exhibit showing the history of your organization.
Can you let us know approximately how much wall space you could use and whether you could send the material to the Library by July 1?
If you can not prepare an exhibit as an organization, have you any members who might have materials which they would contribute to a general exhibit?
Each article contributed should be carefully marked with the name of the person to whom it should be returned. Material such as photographs should be indentified and dated.
The Committee will appreciate your cooperation.
Mary P. Parsons, Chairman
Lakewood Semi-Centennial Celebration
21:24 CITY OF HOMES
LAKEWOOD SEMICENTENNIAL SERMON
BY ROY E. BOWERS
IN LAKEWOOD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
JULY 16, 1939
Principal Sources of Information Drawn Upon:
The Story of Lakewood, E.G. Lindstrom, 1936; Pamphlet, Beautiful Lakewood, Thos. A. Knight, 1902; History of the City of Lakewood, Fire and Police Pension Fund, Frank C. Lowing, 1915; Early Days of Lakewood, Lakewood Chapter D.A.R., Nell R. Farmer, 1936.
So far as the records show, no defensive stockade ever was built on Rockport soil. The white man did not come until the Indian had gone. No village grew up until the Treaty of 1814 had disarmed our whole northern frontier and had removed all ships of war from the Great Lakes.
Even before the white man came the Erie tribe of the Iroquois, who were "our first citizens", were peace-loving and prosperous beyond most tribes; they built wooden houses and farmed the soil instead of being unstable hunters wandering from place to place. Thus the Lakewood slogan, "City of Homes", has old time precedent.
In 1808 Detroit Road was slashed through the wilderness and for ninety years remained the only lake shore highway westward. In 1809 the first wagon traversed it, still ungraded and cluttered with stumps and roots. In the wagon was an aged mulatto, George Peake, and part of his family. Fifty years before he had been a British soldier under Wolfe at Quebec; he went south, in Maryland met a negro woman who had "a half bushel basket of dollars", married her and raised a large family. Finally settling beside Rocky River, he was a useful and respected citizen, living to the age of one hundred and five. His sons set up and operated a hand grist mill, a welcome forerunner of the water power grist mill which later was established.
Other settlers filtered into the township. In 1812 James Nicholson arrived and built a log cabin near the site of the present Nicholson home at Waterbury Road. The same year Nathan Alger and his four sons came and established the Alger settlement.
In 1815 Gideon Granger, who was reputed to own eighty thousand acres of land hereabouts, together with associates, laid out Granger City, on both sides of the River. The eastern boundary was where Granger Avenue now is, although it was not projected then. A modernistic real estate boom followed, inflated and carried high by hope that Granger City rather than Cleveland would be the metropolis of this region; owing to the fact that a sandbar obstructed the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. But the United States had interests at the Cuyahoga and dredged a channel through the bar; and as water was let into the Cuyahoga the air was let out of Granger City hopes.
In 1819 the district, which had been known simply as Township 7, was christened Rockport by the county commissioners. It included the territory now occupied by Rocky River, Fairview Village, West Park and Lakewood. It is to be regretted that so fine and descriptive a name as Rockport has disappeared from the map through subdivision and the adoption of less significant names. An election was called; there were nineteen voters and eighteen offices; the laziest man of the township was appropriately given the office of fence-viewer.
In 1820 Mars Wagar, whom James Nicholson had persuaded to move here from Avon, bought a large tract from the Granger family along the Indian trail now known as Warren Road, and built a log cabin where the Bailey store now stands. In 1821, with a great celebration, the first bridge across Rocky River was opened. All able-bodied men of the township had been conscripted to work on it, and it was the first actual community achievement.
In 1829 the first school was opened in a back room of Mars Wagar's log cabin. A year or two before a man who could read and write and figure had come here and bought one acre of land from Wagar. The pioneers regarded this a rather small investment of an able-bodied man's time, and as he did not develop the resources of the acre fully, he won the reputation of being the next laziest man in the township, and was made teacher of the new school. For some reason his services were not satisfactory and the next year a log school having been built opposite the James Nicholson cabin, a "lady from Olmsted" was employed in his place.
Meanwhile in Rocky River a saw mill and a grist mill had been constructed, a pottery was established, a tavern and store were also opened. However, these ventures one by one failed except the tavern and the grist mill, and passed out of the scene with Granger City.
In 1837 the most distinguished resident in these parts in all our history came here and bought two hundred acres extending from the present line of Madison Avenue through to the Lake, including the present sites of Lakewood High School and the Elks' Club. He was Doctor James P. Kirtland, the famous, indeed world-renowned scientist. In the house he built, which still stands opposite the Elks' Club, he had a library of six thousand volumes. He was a great man in all respects, physically, mentally and spiritually.
He made his land a magnificent botanical garden. In it he grew the first magnolia ever seen in the Western Reserve, originated twenty-six varieties of cherries, introduced grape culture. "He could make anything grow." He persuaded his neighbors to take up grape-growing, with the result that the whole Detroit Road area began to prosper. The Plain Dealer in an article at the time of his death in 1877 said he was "the Socrates of the nineteenth century with the reasoning of Plato combined. Whenever his active and aged form moved up and down our streets, agile as a youth, every citizen was proud to raise his hat as he passed, out of uncontrollable respect for one so rare and so worthy."
His death occurred twelve years before Lakewood became a hamlet, and so swiftly did people forget, that the street flanking his farm, which once bore the name of Kirtland Avenue, was renamed by an unappreciative community Bunts Road. So it has come about that our Centennial should yield at least one concrete result in restoring his name to the Lakewood map. This would be a worthy project for the Board of Education, the Chamber of Commerce and other civic groups to perfect.
In 1871 by petition a separate school district was created, named East Rockport, which contained three one-room schools. These were named East, on the present site of Garfield, Middle, where the Board of Education Building now stands, and West, on the present site of McKinley School. It is a fact that gives matter for thought, that Rockport as a whole and Lakewood the part have middles but no centers. This has affected our development unfavorably, and hindered the generation of community spirit.
East Rockport was a Stringtown-on-the-Detroit-Pike; the toll house took the place of a civic center. If Mars Wagar and Nathan Alger had thought of themsevles as founders of a community, we would today possess a Public Square at the intersection of Warren and Detroit. It is not too late to have its equivalent. If the Board of Education and the City Government could get together and extend the Wilson School grounds to Franklin Avenue, Lakewood would have what it long has needed.
In 1885 a petition was presented to the county commissioners asking that East Rockport be erected into a hamlet. One of the signers of the petition was a man who was living at that time opposite the north end of Belle Avenue, but who later built a home further east in the city of Cleveland; his name-Mark Hanna.
Objections to the name of East Rockport as yielding too much prestige to Rockport led to a search for a different name for the new hamlet. Arlington was favored, but was thrown out by the government because it duplicated another Arlington in the state. A general invitation to hand in possible names was given; some anonymous contributor suggested Lakewood. It took and was approved.
Because of the beautiful landscape, the prosperous homes and the views of the lake, Detroit Road early became popular with Cleveland people taking pleasure drives out into the country. When guests came from other cities their hosts showed them Euclid Avenue in the city and Detroit Road in the country; so there was much traffic and much life along the famous plank road. Perhaps this was one reason for the first ordinance that was passed by the governing officials when the hamlet was set up in August 1889, fixing a speed limit of eight miles per hour for all drivers and vehicles.
In the late '60s a narrow gauge railroad was built from West 65th to Rocky River, parallel to Detroit Road on the right of way now used by the Nickel Plate. It was known as the Dinky. It has two engines. They shuttled back and forth with their one-car trains taking Cleveland people to picnic grounds in what is now Clifton Park and the Edanola-Sloane Avenue section. In 1872 the little road carried one hundred fifty thousand passengers and declared a dividend of five thousand dollars from the dimes and quarters of excursionists, multitudes of them Sunday School picnickers from the city. It was also called the "Dummy", but its success makes modern railroads look like that.
Churches were not numerous in those early days. From the time of the coming of the Nicholson and Wagar families, Swenborgian services were held, and the Church of the Redeemer was formed. Its original building still stands behind the present Church at Andrews and Detroit. In 1828 Rockport M.E. Church began services and its building, erected in 1847, on Wooster Road south of Center Ridge, is the next oldest Church building in Rockport Township. In 1835 the Congregationalists began services, and twenty-four years later Rockport (now West Park) Congregational Church began corporate existence.
Within the present bounds of Lakewood, the Church of the Redeemer is far and away the oldest religious organization. Next came Detroit Avenue Methodist Church, now at Winchester, organized in 1850. By the way, Winchester Avenue is named for a Methodist minister's son. He was a noted anti-slavery man, an engineer on the "underground railroad." He was famous for one particularly daring exploit, effecting the escape of the brother of "Uncle Tom."
The growth of the region was slow, chiefly along Detroit Road with occasional dead-end streets opening out of it north and south. As late as 1902 there were no stores between 117th and Warren, and none between Warren and Riverside. Oddly enough, the first ice-cream parlor was opened by a minister, the Reverend James Cannon, and his wife, of Lakewood Christian Church, as a means of counteracting the evil influences of taverns and saloons at Rocky River. It should be said that after the early days, when the Swedenborgian Church was a lively influence, Lakewood Christian Church was the most influential in civic matters. I recall that when I came to Lakewood, the minister of that Church was president of the Chamber of Commerce. When our own Church was organized the Christian Church lent us the use of their building, which then stood at the corner of Detroit and Park Row, for the recognition service held by the Congregational City Missionary Society.
Our own Church history does not reach back to the days of the hamlet, for in 1903 it became the Village of Lakewood. Our Church was organized in December of 1905, and in 1911, before the present site was purchased for the future building, Lakewood Village become the City of Lakewood. So this Church has, we may say, always been a city Church, practically unassociated with hamlet or village.
Like all communities laid out in horse-and-buggy days, Lakewood began early to suffer from a certain sort of congestion. Fruitful farms and noble estates were scissored up into allotments along streets opening up helter-skelter either side of Detroit Avenue, making what is known as a saw-tooth pattern. At first, as along Grace and north Belle, the lots were fairly large, but later the rapacity of promoters, growing by what it fed on, reduced the standard Lakewood lot to forty or fifty feet in width and shallow depth. It is nothing to brag about that we have seventy-five thousand people in Lakewood in space for half that number; but it is due to a habit of thought that hung over from pre-automobile days, that the bigger a town the better in must be.
This began to happen at a bad time for Lakewood. The individualistic pioneers were bewildered by the inrush of population and unable to provide leadership. There was little organized community spirit, the Chamber of Commerce led a precarious existence. I myself remember debates as to whether it should be continued. City planning was not dreamt of. When Detroit Avenue was to be repaved in 1918, the late Fred M. Branch of our Church went to City officials with a generous proposal by himself and other citizens looking to the widening of the street; but this plan was contemptuously laughed down, a plan which would have added untold value to the street and adjacent property and comfort and safety for the multitudes who use it.
Just at this time a group of public-spirited Cleveland people who lived in this part of Lakewood all or part of the year formed a dynamic nucleus for promoting cooperative and civic development. Through their encouragement in 1914 the young energetic members of this Church began to build and in 1916, equipped, as someone said, "with everything but a bar", the new structure was "dedicated to the community." At once it became a humming center of community life. Its various organizations sincerely endeavored to serve all without regard to Church affiliations.
But with the conclusion of the world war, the inrush of population and the soaring costs of everything, it became clear that no private institution could successfully cope with the need. I recall the summer days of 1918-19, how depressing it was to traverse our streets and note the numbers of listless children on porches, sidewalks and curbs, wanting they knew not what, but certainly not finding many resources in a region that called itself a City of Homes. There were no parks until the city purchased a few acres in the bottom of the river valley, and until Lakewood Park, also small and inadequate, was dedicated in the summer of 1918.
So this Church, almost from the beginning a city Church, found itself instantly called to civic service, as a leader in the development of the community spirit, and in the transformation of the community itself into a larger, kindlier and more successful home.
For example, backed by the Church at its annual meeting in 1920, the late Mrs. L.R. Ziemer and others started a movement for a recreation council and playgrounds; led by three members of our congregation on the Board of Education large purchases of land for schools with playgrounds attached were made in every section of the community. As matter of history it should here be noted that when the depression came on, peanut politicians thought they saw in this policy a chance to make capital for themselves in criticism of the Board of Education for extravagance. They were for a time successful, but it is good to know that they are now discredited.
Stimulated and chiefly guided by members of our Church, the community Y.M.C.A. and the community Y.W.C.A. were founded, with the policy of pooling and using all the social and recreational facilities of the Churches and other centers in the interest of all the children of all the people. Others of our congregation led in organizing the Lakewood Woman's Club, providing several of its earliest presidents, including the founder, Mrs. Ziemer; the Lakewood Business and Professional Women's Club and the Lakewood Minister's Union. Three of our congregation have been presidents of the Board of Education, one each of the Chamber of Commerce, the Hospital Board, the Library Board, the Lakewood Y.M.C.A. and Y.W.C.A., and the Girl Scout Council; three have been or are secretaries of the Chamber of Commerce. The first Cub Pack in the county west of the Cuyahoga began in this Church.
Thus coming to the front in the first great crisis of our community life, our Church has constantly thrown its energy into civic service, seeking to strengthen the original intention of making Lakewood a City of Homes.
These later years have been difficult and often discouraging but new allies keep rising up. One priceless enrichment is the development of the Metropolitan Park system. It is noteworthy that to the collapse of ancient Granger City this great boon is due; for if at that time the valley had been industrialized this community would not have been "Lakewood, west of the smokes", but the smokes would have been west of Lakewood. As it is, this region is stabilized, so far as we can see, permanently, as region of homes. The building of beautiful St. Peter's Church opposite us, with its lovely windows, and magnificient St. James nearby, will be an ennobling influence upon all our community life as the years go by, lifting our standards of beauty and worth. The latest ally to appear is the Little Theater movement in which we all rejoice and welcome its location in this neighborhood; permanently, let us hope.
But there are adversaries. The increase of population, the lowered morale caused by the depression, the loss of many former leaders, and the struggle for bare existence increase the pressure to cheapen our standards. The liqour situation is one sign of danger. We are still largely dependent upon the antiquated and outworn principles and methods of traditional temperance reform. Reacting from this, too many of our people, in their desire to appear modern and sophisticated, make no effort to develop up-to-date and effective principles of dealing with the problem, but smugly keep aloof, while scores of liquor dispensaries defile our streets and entice our youth.
But this is only one phase of a situation which affects all modern life. To keep our tastes from being vulgarized, our interests from becoming again purely individual and selfish and our standards lowered, we must be everlastingly alert, thoughtful, inventive.
Pioneering always goes on. It is not a disappearing phase of the past. Our city needs new leaders having vision, courage and unselfish devotion. This Church has never been merely parochial in its outlook or policies. It could not be true to its Pilgrim heritage if it were. Patterned after those old New England meeting houses that were the community centers of their day, let the new generation of home-makers that are now becoming the strength of it keep it true to the ideals of those who begun to build it twenty-five years ago this very year. Let us gird ourselves for increasing service to our City of Homes.